Skip to main content

On the road to Brandenburg

“Aint no sunshine when she’s gone”.

“Aint warm when she’s away”.

The music floated from somewhere on the platform as our train paused at the station before it moved onto its final destination to Berlin Brandenburg airport. Up to that moment, the trip at daybreak had been filled with the typical unspoken marital tension. A tension that originated from differing expectations on how to prepare for a trip back home, a trip I had decided to skip this time and a trip that would be her first, alone and across continents. Though like all disagreements, the current one brought up memories of past ones, adding fuel to a fire that if left alone, would have died on its own. As even Winnie the Pooh rightfully knew, “Sometimes the smallest things takes up the most space in your heart”.

So the fire persisted silently as terrible May seemed to encroach into June.

Till Bill Withers husky voice floated into my ears with the lyrics I had heard countless times before. The only difference being up to then I had only heard those words.  However, at this particular instance and time, when even the Berlin summer sun had not risen to greet us and when we were stuck in a train station filled with drunkards and partygoers, I felt those words. I knew what Bill was singing about. The minor quibbles could not mask the fact that I faced a month without her, without all the joy and warmth she had added to a once solitary life in a foreign land.

So i reached out and held her hand. 

And she held mine back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fool's Pride

I was rolling up the sleeve of my uniform, preparing for a call up that might never come, when I realised that somehow I was overcome by a strange sense of pride, a pride that wanted the length of my sleeve to be precise as I have always pictured in my mind. Any longer, I would look shabby. Any shorter, I would look amateur. Then I donned the green, tightened the velcro around my waist and looked in the mirror. It was just like before and the memories started flooding me. I never really liked it when I donned it for 2 years in a row. Then I was in a place where I detested the culture, the harsh discipline, the unreasonable demands and the lack of purpose in everything I did. But now that it was over, when I look back, it was perhaps the greatest time of my life. The suffering, the digging, the starving, the cold, the banter, the rowdiness, the jungle, the marches,the mountains, the food, the stories, the friendships, it was all worth the 2 years. A girl friend of mine once asked

Notes on Friendships

During my NS, I remember the army loved to measure everyone and everything. Even before you enlisted, all your body measurements were taken, your IQ tested and your suitability for each vocation checked through a series of long tiring tests.Once you enlisted, you had fitness tests, weapon tests, SIT(leadership) test and the list never really ended. Though, in my opinion, SAF only got it right with a few tests, out of which the most important was also the one that was more of an unofficial measure. The measure of friendship. The rule was simple. To see who your true friend was, wait until the whole platoon was going through some real deep shit. Wait until you cannot take it anymore. And then wait and see who would come to help you despite the fact that he was going through the same pain. And this test always tended to produce some extremely surprising results, at least in my experience. I remember clearly, during a particular training exercise in Taiwan, I was totally drenched a