Skip to main content

The Old Woman in Green

I am not a huge fan of Bolloywood movies. The song and dance, the forever affluent characters, the overdramatic endings, the all too typical storylines and the lack of variety makes Bollywood one of the worst reflection of the rich culture and heritage of the India. But now and then, a movie would come along that would touch the right notes here and there. I know a large number of my non-Indian friends who loved '3 Idiots', a movie that I felt hit all the right notes and then sadly plunged into the all too ridiculous Bollywood endings. Another movie that I felt a stronger connection to was 'Munna Bhai, MBBS', a story about an everyday gangster who decides to study medicine.

One part I particularly like about the movie is when the hero points out to his friend an old cleaner who worked in his school, who scolded everyone who walked across the floor he had just mopped, who incessantly complained. And the hero goes over and hugs the sweeper tightly and tells him 'Uncle. Thank you for keeping the place clean'. It is a touching moment, at least for me, a gentle reminder of those little people, who unknown to us, are an important part of our lives. People without whom our life may end up a tad more uncomfortable.

Reason I am saying this is though that there is such a cleaner I know, a frail old Malay woman, who everyday without fail, clears up the rubbish in my computer lab. Every morning she would dutifully come and empty the waste, talking to herself in a mixture of English and Malay. Sometimes she would scold those sitting near the trash if it overflowed, just like an old woman would nag her grand children, and everyone would look at her and say nothing, just waiting for her to leave so that they can carry on with their work.

Not that I am blaming anyone. We are all very busy people. Just that, at least to me, the sight of her is one of the few bright moments of my day, when someone whom you have no relation to scolds you for not throwing the rubbish properly. That closeness, that familiarity she assumes is heart warming. Half the time, I do not understand what she is telling me (She thinks I am malay and so speaks to me in Malay) but I try my best to talk to her when I can.

And I hope one day, before I leave school, I can buy her a cup of tea.

Just my way of saying thank you.

Not for clearing my rubbish. But for being one of the bright spots in my university life.

Comments

  1. Hi there, I chanced upon your blog. And I think you portray your thoughts really well. Its mostly what runs through the common mind. A good read indeed. Just thought I should let you know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Fool's Pride

I was rolling up the sleeve of my uniform, preparing for a call up that might never come, when I realised that somehow I was overcome by a strange sense of pride, a pride that wanted the length of my sleeve to be precise as I have always pictured in my mind. Any longer, I would look shabby. Any shorter, I would look amateur. Then I donned the green, tightened the velcro around my waist and looked in the mirror. It was just like before and the memories started flooding me. I never really liked it when I donned it for 2 years in a row. Then I was in a place where I detested the culture, the harsh discipline, the unreasonable demands and the lack of purpose in everything I did. But now that it was over, when I look back, it was perhaps the greatest time of my life. The suffering, the digging, the starving, the cold, the banter, the rowdiness, the jungle, the marches,the mountains, the food, the stories, the friendships, it was all worth the 2 years. A girl friend of mine once asked

On the road to Brandenburg

“Aint no sunshine when she’s gone”. “Aint warm when she’s away”. The music floated from somewhere on the platform as our train paused at the station before it moved onto its final destination to Berlin Brandenburg airport. Up to that moment, the trip at daybreak had been filled with the typical unspoken marital tension. A tension that originated from differing expectations on how to prepare for a trip back home, a trip I had decided to skip this time and a trip that would be her first, alone and across continents. Though like all disagreements, the current one brought up memories of past ones, adding fuel to a fire that if left alone, would have died on its own. As even Winnie the Pooh rightfully knew, “Sometimes the smallest things takes up the most space in your heart”. So the fire persisted silently as terrible May seemed to encroach into June. Till Bill Withers husky voice floated into my ears with the lyrics I had heard countless times before. The only difference being up to then

Marriage and All That : Part 2

"How about I get married?" "Are you serious?" "Yea" "No really. If you are serious, I can start looking for one" "Uhh....Nah. I was just kidding" After a while, she stopped asking me if I were serious. Instead, she would laugh it off every time I suggested it, which was the original intention of my question. For me it was just comic relief, this idea of marriage that parents back in India would pester their children with once they reached just about where I was right now; young, working with a steady income and of totally no use at home. Though when she did ask me if I was serious, I do remember feeling a palpitation in my heart, the kind one gets when having to make a yuge decision (#trump2016 #makeamericagreatagain), knowing very well that she, along with an army of aunts, waited for my green light to start searching for a bride for the most promising of their nephews. A NRI (non residential Indian used to refer to the